Move Process

If you wish to move to a different unit and take your assistance with you, there are a few important steps you must follow to make the process run smoothly. It is our goal that the following information will enable you to understand the entire process more clearly so you may start receiving assistance in your new unit as soon as possible.

Please note that under the Section 8 program, you must sign a lease with the landlord for an initial term of at least one year. If you are in the first year of your lease, you will need to ask the landlord to sign a mutual termination of the lease if you wish to move during that first year.

If you decide to move, you need to follow these steps:

  • Give proper written notice to your landlord in accordance with your lease.
  • Provide your caseworker at Rental Assistance Corp. of Buffalo (RACB) with a copy of the notice you gave your landlord.
  • You will then receive a new voucher and a Request for Tenancy Approval for your new unit.

Please keep the following things in mind when relocating:

  • The assistance in the new unit will not start until the new unit passes an HQS inspection. If you choose to move in prior to it passing the inspection, you will be responsible for the full rent.
  • RACB does not provide security deposits, so make sure you able to provide a security deposit for your new unit.
  • If your new unit does not pass an inspection within 30 days, it may be rejected and you will have to find other housing.
  • In most cases, RACB will also recertify you during the move process, so be prepared to provide requested documents.


Did you know that you can take your Section 8 rental assistance anywhere in the country?

If you would like to move outside of Erie County; when you start the move process, you simply need to let your caseworker know that you wish to move outside of Erie County and let us know where you are planning to move.

RACB will let you know what agency will handle your assistance in the area you are moving to, and we will contact them and send all the necessary paperwork to that agency.